My current favorite songs of the week

TGIF! This week felt like it would never end. Here is this week's playlist, got a good mix of old and new songs. There were quite a few new releases today. Unfortunately I did not get around to listening to the new i:scintilla album Swayed. I hope to get to listen to it this weekend.

One of my favorite local bands Tiny Deaths released her new album Magic today. I was definitely not disappointed in what I heard on the album. It is fantastic. If I am up to it after seeing Venom, Tiny Deaths has an album release party at the Icehouse on October 4 [event link: https://www.facebook.com/events/231474324387571/].

Metric  and In Strict Confidence  also have new albums out Art of Doubt and Hate2Love . At the moment the jury is out on both albums. I need to listen to them a few more times for the music to grow on me.

For most of this week, the weather in the Twin Cities have been garbage. It had been raining all damn day and night from Monday through Thursday. I have been on a bit of a Dead Can Dance and Lisa Gerrard kick because of the dreary ass weather. I love Dead Can Dance's new song "The Mountain". You can listen to the new song at Pitchfork [https://pitchfork.com/news/dead-can-dance-share-new-song-the-mountain-listen/]. My favorite DCD album is easily The Serpent's Egg. I have been listening to it quite a bit for the past couple of days.

Thanks to Justin of Sleepthief, I found out not long ago Mythos has a new EP out called Eros. It is really good. I have been chilling out in the evenings with a cup of tea and some Mythos playing in the background.

As much as I adore Tinderbox, I am starting to find myself preferring Peepshow from Siouxsie and The Banshees. Both albums are fantastic but Peepshow is starting to overtake Tinderbox as my favorite Siouxsie and The Banshees album. Right now my favorite song is "Burn-Up" which is featured on tonight's playlist.

And to shake things up a bit, I added in a track by a Vietnamese artist named Pham duc Thanh called "Falling Rain". I was curious to see if Spotify had any traditional Vietnamese music since I have taken an interest in my own culture in the past 12 months since seeing Ken Burns' excellent The Vietnam War documentary. The instrument Pham duc Thanh uses is called the Dan Bau, it is a stringed instrument.

Of course I got some Autumn tracks on this week's playlist, one song from their three albums ;). And there are some long time favorite songs by Anette Olzon, Blutengel, and Cocteau Twins too.

Comments

Popular Posts