My 20 favorite albums that can withstand the test of time

Today at work, I was listening to my latest cd purchases that I bought yesterday at Cheapo Records The Book of Secrets by Loreena McKennitt and Spirited Away soundtrack. I was thinking to myself how well these albums have held up to the test of time. It got me to think about my favorite albums that still sounds fresh and new to these aging ears ;).

20. Tiger Bay by Saint Etienne

This was my first Saint Etienne album I ever bought. I bought it from either Columbia House or BMG music club back in the '90s (LOL). I was hooked right away. Tiger Bay was nothing like I had ever heard at the time. Still love it to this very day.

19. Scheissmessiah by Hanzel und Gretyl

Every since I bought this album (again) a few weeks ago, I have almost forgot how good the album is. I rank this as my 2nd favorite HuG album, next to 2012: Zwanzig Zwolf.

18. Blue Wonder Power Milk by Hooverphonic

This is one of my personal favorite electronica albums of the '90s, let alone all time favorite Hooverphonic album. The music sounds like one long continuous car commercial, and I mean that in a good way.

17. Sunday 8pm by Faithless

This is by far my favorite electronica album of the '90s. This album really lead me down the path into techno music, and after all these years album still sounds fantastic.

16. Lovelife by Lush

This was my first album I bought by Lush. I had seen the video for "Ladykiller" on MTV and immediately fell in love with the song. Sadly it would be the last album by Lush too. I always enjoy listening to the album at any time of day/night either at home or work.

15. Satellites by Cylab

Satellites is one of those albums that has really stuck with me over the years and has never aged with time (unlike me...haha).

14. Ray of Light by Madonna

As much as I don't like Madonna's music now, I still love Ray of Light. The production is just amazing and timeless with me.

13. Spirited Away by Joe Hisaishi

I think in general, any soundtrack that Joe Hisaishi does is timeless. His score for Departures is one of my personal favorite soundtracks as is Spirited Away. I had a hard time choosing between those two soundtracks but in the end opted for Spirited Away which was one of my first Miyazaki films that I had watched and was completely enraptured with. Still love both the film and soundtrack.

12. Republica by Republica

I still love listening to this album to this very day. At one point I used to drive one of my former roommates with this album. LOL!

11. Cuckoo by Curve

This was my first Curve album. Bought a cassette version on a whim. The rest is history if any of you know me and my fetish for their music ;).

10. Karma by Delerium

A former roommate introduced me to Delerium right around the time I was getting ready to move back to Minnesota from Wisconsin. I loved what I heard on this album then, still do to this very day. I still am not a fan of "Silence". Heard that song way too many damn times on so many chillout compilations and soundtracks.

09. The Book of Secrets by Loreena McKennitt

I have really forgotten just how good The Book of Secrets is until I bought a copy of the weekend. The music sounds so new to me once again.

08. Nightbird by Erasure

I would have listed The Innocents (which I love) but that album had really weak production, plus wasn't big on a couple of tracks. Now Nightbird on the other hand is a solid synthpop album by Erasure and their strongest effort (at least with me). Everytime I listen to it, I don't think of the fact that it is eight years old.

07. Nihil by KMFDM


06. Homogenic by Bjork


05. The Dividing by Android Lust


04. Empires by VNV Nation

03. The Failure Epiphany by Unter Null

Of all the industrial albums I have listed here on my blog entry, I think The Failure Epiphany has really held up the most well. Whenever I am in a pissed off mood, I can always count on this album to calm me down. It is the soundtrack to my life.

02. Bloodletting by Concrete Blonde

Love, love, love this album. Loved it in high school/college, still love it to this day as I am slowly edging towards 40 ;).

01. Star by Belly

I think Belly got totally written off as a one hit wonder which is a damn shame. Star is such a classic modern rock album from the '90s. I think it was and still is underappreciated. Music still sounds awesome now as it was when I was a freshman in college.

Comments

Popular Posts