Album of the week

A few weeks ago I was perusing Spotify for some interesting new music to listen to. I came across the husband/wife duo of Birds of Chicago. JT Nero is from Chicago, IL and his wife Allison is from Montreal,QB. As someone who listens to a lot of post-punk, darkwave, industrial, metal, and synthpop, Americana or  gospel influenced roots-rock really isn't a music I listen to on a regular basis however it doesn't mean I am not opened to it (after all I do like local musician Chastity Brown whose music is in the same vein as Birds of Chicago and I started listening to last year). I do like to branch out if the music strikes my fancy and Birds of Chicago's music just did that when I first listened to their latest album Love in Wartime. I love the laid-back, positive vibe of the album. I won't like, JT's gravelly vocals took some time to grow on me. His wife's vocals compliments his vocals very nicely. I enjoy how well the duo harmonizes. There is certainly elements of country music but from an era (i.e the '70s) before the genre became overproduced pop garbage. All of the band's albums are great but I particularly love the warmth and low-key vibe of Love in Wartime. It is a great album to wind down at the end of the day with a steaming cup of tea before I call it the night.

BTW...Birds of Chicago are coming to the Twin Cities to play at  the Dakota in December, Facebook event included here [https://www.facebook.com/events/1039236112922204/].

My favorite songs:
Roll Away
Baton Rouge
Super Lover



I have included some live footage of the band to give readers an idea of what the band is like live. Might have to go to their show in December.

Comments

Popular Posts