Earworm of the week

Sooooooo today I was scrolling through my list of albums on Spotify at work today trying to figure out what I wanted to listen to this afternoon. I came across the latest album by the British pop group Steps. I won't lie or be embarrassed about it but I actually liked some of the songs the group put out back in the late '90s. They remind me so much of the Swedish pop group ABBA whom I also like. There was a moment in time (back in the '90s when I lived in Milwaukee, WI) when I was into '90s europop/dance music. I was introduced to Steps on an import compilation I bought from Atomic Records.

Anyways, not long ago I had discovered that the group had released a new album last year and saved it. I finally caved in and gave the album a listen. It did not take me very long to find a song on the album that would wedge itself in between my ears. The first thing that came to my mind was "ABBA". Seriously that was the first thing that popped in my head. The harmonies by the five members (Claire, Faye, Lisa, H and Lee) really made me think of the Swedish supergroup. One can't deny that this song has really memorable pop hooks. I have to admit listening to their brand of pop music (that hasn't been sexualized to death) is rather refreshing after spending most of the day listening to synthpop, industrial, darkwave, and metal music. It made my work day a bit more bearable and go by quicker.

Say what you want about tonight's choice in Earworm of the Week but I don't feel embarrassed about it :). Life is too short to feel guilty about the music one listens to IMO.

Comments

Popular Posts