Nightwish at The Aragon Ballroom on 03.31.18

Well I am back. My trip to Chicago was so much fun. I am glad I decied to make the trip to go there to see Nightwish and be able to get to their show via the red line as opposed to having to rely on a ride sharing APP and hauling my ass to Maplewood to The Myth. The Aragon is a beautiful venue. I honestly felt like it was a better venue for the band than the Concord Music Hall (which I saw them at in 2015). The band is currently touring in support of their 2 CD compilation Decades, no songs, just a compilation to celebrate two decades worth of music. The band essentially played all the songs off Decades except for "Amaranth" and "Storytime" because of the song "The Greatest Show on Earth" which is my least favorite track by the band otherwise great song selection.

The last time I had gone out to a concert was back in December for Book of Love. To get out and see some live music felt good. Getting out of town for a couple of days also felt good too. Unlike at the Concord Music Hall show back in 2015 when the band was touring behind Endless Forms Most Beautiful, I actually had a fairly decent view of most of the band. Let me tell you how much it sucks being short but the venue was large enough to allow everyone to see the band and be literally on top of me or in front of me.  The neighborhood the venue was in is shady AF. That is all I have to say but at least the red line was a hop, skip, and jump away. I bought a t-shirt as soon as I got into the venue. I still couldn't believe that the band are giving out free copies of Decades at every show on this tour. Of course I got my copy.

The show itself was two hours long. There was no opening band. This tour is about the two decades Nightwish has been in existence and celebrating those two decades. I kinda prefer that there is no opening bands after this show. Through out the show, the band allowed Floor take a break from singing for several minutes to give her vocal chords a much needed rest. Floor has really shown that she is very capable of singing the songs from the Tarja and Anette eras. I hope she stays in the band for years to come. She is the perfect fit for the band. Overall, the band's performance that night was fire. I always get a kick out of watching Floor headbang throughout the night. Judging by what I saw, the band truly enjoys each other's company. The chemistry is there an I do think that is important for bands to have that sort of chemistry. It makes for a much more enjoyable show. I am glad to have made the trek down to Chicago.

I have included some photos taken from Saturday's show. Despite having some difficulty in seeing, I still got pretty good photos of the band.












Comments

Popular Posts