Chinese Metal/Rock Albums to Check Out

Japanese metal bands gets a lot of love from western music fans, mainly due to the Kawaii metal scene. I listen to a lot of Kawaii metal bands (Lovebites, Band-Maid, Hanabie, Babymetal, and the list goes on). The sub-genre totally rocks but I feel like it overshadows other metal bands AND metal scenes across Asia. While at the Battle Beast concert back in May, I talked to a new BB fan because he noticed the Lovebites shirt I was wearing. He listed a lot of Kawaii metal bands that he listened to. I brought up a list of bands from China and Taiwan (note: I consider Taiwan a sovereign nation as much as all the Indigenous communities in North America - US and Canada, don't like it? Kiss my ass) which he never heard of. 

I feel like China has a really solid and incredible metal scene so I thought I would post a list of metal (and post-rock albums) from China I think people should check out. I should note, just because China is a communist country does not mean the idea of the people creating music is weird. 2 years ago, I came across this YT video China's underground music is weirder than you think. The title itself is offensive enough because the guy basically thinks China is like North Korea where modern,westernized music is banned. China is not a backwards country. People have been making metal/rock music in China for decades. This guy is absolutely a bellend for making such an ignorant assumption. I should also note, I was also inspired to create this blog post after I recently received my most recent order from the Chinese record label Pest Productions which was Toonaleaves new album + their debut EP. 

Anyways, here is my list.

01. Mysterain: A Thousand Dusts


02. Ritual Day: Unholy Year


03. Ephemerality: Ephemerality


04. Silent Elegy: Gone With the Wind


05. Black Kirin: Nanking Massacre


06. Bloody Tyrant: Haisen Monogatari


07. Toonaleaves: Ballads of Innocence and Experience


08. DengeL: Promised


09. M.E.L.T: M.E.L.T


10. Twilight Blooming: Song of the Warrior


11. Anathematise: Bizarre Tales from the Past and the Future


Post-Rock Bands
01. Sonicave: Rushing Hours


02. The Bootlegs: I Feel Good


03. Fazi: Folding Story


04. Berlin Psycho Nurses: Berlin Psycho Nurses

Comments

Popular Posts