My Current Favorite Songs of the Week

TGIF! Here is this week's playlist. There are some older tracks but for the most part the music is pretty recent.

I think it was this week or maybe last week I found out that Chvrches will be in town this summer with Halsey so I decided to listen to the new Halsey album Manic today. I liked it but then the longer the album went on, the more the music just sounded the same and eventually I stopped listening to it. The album is way too long and repetitive. Halsey is an okay pop singer but I really don't get her popularity. She is meh to me.  In the end I decided to skip the Halsey concert. I rather see Chvrches as a headlining act, not as a supporting act.

While on the subject of pop music, Echosmith recently released a new album called The Lonely Generation. I definitely liked the music on that album more so than the music on Manic by Halsey.  Really love the ballad "Everyone Cries" which is included on this week's playlist.

The other night I was at the Yola show at the Fine Line (with Amythyst Kiah). It was phenomenal. Both Yola and Amythyst Kiah put on fantastic sets. My favorite moment was when Yola sang Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" which is included on this week's playlist, it is so damn good. I suggest going to YouTube and look up her live performances of the song. Yola is not only an amazing singer but a fantastic performer. She was so entertaining to watch on stage. Loved her stories in between sets.

Since I absolutely adore The Highwomen's self-titled debut, I just had to check out Natalie Hemby's music. I didn't have much expectations especially when I wasn't so impressed with Maren Morris' album when it came out last year (I think) so much to my surprise, I found myself enjoying  quite a bit. My current favorite song off her album is "Grand Restoration".

Earlier this week I was listening to All Songs Considered (I think) and I was introduced to the Korean group Ak Dan Gwang Chil. I would love to see this band perform live one day. Go give their song "Youngeonggeori" a listen.

Songs to Check Out:
"Concrete" by Poppy
"Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" by Yola
"Grand Restoration" by Natalie Hemby
"Fade to Blue" by Roniit
"D.I.W.D" by VaVa
"Clementine" by Halsey
"Everyone Cries" by Echosmith
"Youngjeonggeori" by Ak Dan Gwang Chil

Comments

Popular Posts