Album of the Week

Last week, one of my favorite metal bands from Japan released their long awaited third album Purgatorium. Their last album Deorum Festum was released in 2017. I became a fan of Ghost Cries when I found the band on YouTube with their video for Lost Reverie. I eventually bought their second album Deorum Festum this past spring which is a solid metal album. Earlier this fall I discovered the band was going to put out their long awaited third album Purgatorium. I was excited. The album dropped last Thursday on Spotify and I have been listening to it every day. The long wait for new music from the Japanese death metal band was so worth it. According to the band's website , the band has a new vocalist Any (replacing Coco who left in 2018) as well as new bassist Yua and Elly on keyboards. I definitely could hear the change in the band's sound the first time I listened to Purgatorium. I definitely enjoy the band's first two albums but I think Purgatorium really ups the game for the band. The production value is so much better. There is a more symphonic element to the music I barely heard in their earlier music like in songs like "Holy Grail Saga" and "Phantom of the Kingdom" . "Phantom of the Kingdom is my absolute favorite track on the album. I bought quite a few albums from Japan (and Asia in general) this year and Purgatorium is definitely one of my top 5 favorite purchases. 

Comments

Popular Posts