Best of 2013: Darkest White by Tristania

Darkest White by Tristania

I have to admit I never really paid much attention to the band Tristania. For a long time I had fallen out of love with the gothic metal scene until 2011. Earlier this year, I found the new Tristania album on youtube. I listened to a few tracks from the album and found myself enjoying Darkest White quite a bit and it goes without saying that I ended up buying a copy of the album from my favorite record store. Darkest White is easily one of my favorite heavy metal albums of 2013. While a lot of internet trolls bitch about Mariangela Demurtas's vocals (namely on youtube) and her not being anything like their previous singer, I really enjoy Mariangela's vocals. In fact her vocals is why I love the album so much. In the past I used to not like the cookie monster on acid type of vocals however I have grown accustomed to them thanks to Kjetil Nordhus. I was pleasantly surprised how connected I felt with the lyrics as well as vocals. I particularly loved listening to Kjetil's vocals on "Diagnosis". Very clean and powerful. My personal favorite track is without a shadow of a doubt "Requiem". The song has so much emotions and the way Mariangela sings on that song made the song the stand out track with me. I definitely can listen to Darkest White from start to finish without skipping a single track. Truly a real solid, winner for me.

Comments

Popular Posts