The 8 albums of 2013 that did not impress me

I thought I would take a break from my best of series tonight with my list of albums from this year that just failed to impress me. I probably am going to break one of my own ten commandments of being a music fan but you know, this is the end of the year. I'm going to be honest with the music I have heard this year, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I honestly wanted to like these albums but with every listen, the less I liked what I had heard. So break out the pitchforks and torches because here are the 8 albums from this year that I did not particularly care for! LOL!

8. Covenant: Leaving Babylon

There was a point when I was seriously looking forward to buying this album but then I streamed it on Spotify. Is it me or does this band keep regurgitating the same songs? This had to be even more dull than their previous album Modern Ruin.

07. Funker Vogt: Companion in Crime

See #8. There were a couple of tracks that I did like on the album but my goodness, listening to Companion in Crime quickly became a chore for me.

06. Skinny Puppy: Weapon

I for one am looking forward to seeing Skinny Puppy live in February. Totally dig their older material. Just couldn't get into their latest album Weapon. Maybe once I see them live I can appreciate the album.

05. Lady Gaga: Artpop

I listened to the new Lady G album on Spotify a few weeks ago out of sheer curiosity. It was not good. It lacked the infectious pop hooks that made me appreciate her first two albums (before my patience ran out with her schtick). Artpop is proof that I am SOOOOO over Lady Gaga. Gimme Grace Jones, Madonna, Bette Midler and every other artist she has nicked her gimmicky image off from over her.

04. Hanzel und Gretyl: Fur Immer

I love HuG but they really have been trying my patience in the past year. Last year's long awaited album Born to Be Heiled ended up being one of my biggest disappointments in which their music sounded like half-baked Kid Rock songs. SMH. Now this year they decided to put out a remix album. I'm sorry but I really dislike remix albums. At this rate, I might as well throw in the towel with them. Not to say that there weren't any good remixes (just a couple) however the bad outnumbered the good. Sad.

03. Combichrist: No Redemption

I actually started liking this album in the beginning but within a half hour into it, my ears got tired and needed some diversity. I do commend Combichrist for going in a different direction with their music.

02. Sirenia: Perils of the Deep Blue

I really enjoyed the band's previous effort but this album was just a massive let down for me. All the songs sounded the same to me.

01. Tarja: Colours in the Dark

I love Tarja's voice but her solo music is something to be left desired. Of her three solo albums, Colours of the Dark is the most tolerable of the bunch. The problem with her music for me is that Tarja isn't working with someone who has an ear for melodies like her former Nightwish bandmate Tuomas. I will say this I do love the Within Temptation song she sings on. Maybe she should join that band and share vocals with Sharon. lol

Edit:
I was just thinking today (12/8) about The Civil Wars' self-titled album. I almost forgot how disappointed I was in the long awaited follow up to their first album Barton Hollow. The music on their self-titled album was lackluster at best. The worst part of this story is that the two band members aren't on good speaking terms so this may (or may not) be the last album by the group. It would be a shame to end one's career with an album totally devoid of personality.

Comments

Popular Posts