Album of the Week

2 weeks ago on NPR All Songs Considered, queer, trans person, Korean American artist NoSo (aka Abby Hwong) was mentioned on the podcast. NoSo had recently released their debut album Stay Proud With Me. NPR did review Stay Proud With me earlier this month. After hearing samples of the album on the show, I knew I had to listen to their music when I found myself nodding my head along to the songs. I was not disappointed when I first listened to the album in its entirety.

Abby's stage name NoSo is reference to North and South Korea, a response to the question "Which part of Korea are you from?" often asked of Abby (according to The Guardian ). Stay Proud of Me is 35 minutes of indie pop/rock bliss. Abby's lyrics are deeply personal and intimate. I felt like I went on a journey with them which includes life growing up in a Chicago suburb to their queerness. 

I definitely recommend Stay Proud With Me. I have been listening to the album every day since it first came out earlier this month. The music is a nice break from all the heavy metal music I listen to during the work day.

Comments

Popular Posts