Unwrapped 2023

Last week, Spotify released their annual unwrapped. I decided to post part of my top 100 of 2023 playlist. I would have posted the playlist but it never shows up as is for readers, perhaps because it was personalized for my listening tastes. I decided to just post the first fifty songs on my top 100 list.

This year I definitely listened to a lot of pop music from Korea and Vietnam but also a lot of Viet Rock like Anesthetic Youth, Metanoia, and Kurrock. I think the music scene in Vietnam gets slept on. Vietnam may not be a big country but the natives there knows how to crank out some excellent music from pop to heavy metal music. 

In 2023 I became a fan of Tanya Tucker because of her excellent documentary The Return of Tanya Tucker. This fall I started to do a deep dive into her catalog. 

My Top 100 2023 
1. Hoa Cuc Dai by Toc Tien
2. La Anh by Pham Lich, BMZ 
3. Good to be Loved by JinE 
4. Dreamers [Music from the World Cup Qatar 2022 Official Soundtrack] by Jung Kook, BTS, Fifa Sound)
5. Nijiiro by Ayaka 
6. Ojani (Lofi remix) by Tanveer Evan 
7. Brave by Kim Jong Wan 
8. Turn Mile by Pritam, Neeraj Shridhar 
9. Beautiful by Crush
10. Malang Sajna by Sachet Tandon, Parampara Tandon
11. Jane Doe by Anesthetic Youth
12. The Astronaut by Jin
13. A Million Dreams by Ndlovu Youth Choir
14. Lean on Me by 10cm
15. Nghiep by Metanoia
16. The Dreaming by Monsta X
17. Seminole Wind Calling by Tanya Tucker
18. Gotterfunken by Schwarzer Engel
19. The Spirit Lives on by Lovebites
20. Everytime by Britney Spears
21. Song and artist unknown because the title and name is in Mandarin Chinese
22. Metal Kingdom by Babymetal
23. track 2 by Onmyo-Za from Ryuu Doji (their latest album)
24. Never by Liv Moon
25. Love Won't Tear Us Apart by Anesthetic Youth
26. One Day by Monsta X
27. track #4 by G.E.M
28. Sink or Swim by Eric Nam
29. Fortune and Fame by Anesthetic Youth
30. Phoenix by LUNA and Broadway cast of KPop
31. First Love by Utada Hikaru (2022 mix)
32. track #3 (Ryuu Doji) by Onmyo-Za
33. Needless Nostalgia by Anesthetic Youth
34. Ngot Ngao O Ngau by My Tam and Suboi
35. Love You Still (abcdefu romatic version) by Tyler Shaw
36. My Orion by Lovebites
37. Better Days by Anesthetic Youth
38. Crybaby by Omelas
39. Us and the Rest by M83
40. Loveher by Romy 
41. Yeu Nhau (Qua Cau Gio Bay) by Limebocx
42. Light Up by Anesthetic Youth
43. First Love by Utada Hikaru (original mix)
44. Ready As I'll Never Be by Tanya Tucker
45. ??? by Silence Wang, BY2
46. Love Hate Repeat by Anesthetic Youth
47. A Thousand Years by Jada Facer, Kyson Facer
48. A Little Respect by Erasure
49. RIP, Love by Faouzia
50. Going Down by Anesthetic Youth

Top 5 Artists of 2023
1. Lovebites
2. Tanya Tucker
3. Onmyo-Za
4. Ndlovu Youth Choir
5. Toc Tien

Top Genre: 
Kpop

Music Listened:
123, 681 Minutes

FYI...I am well aware how problematic Spotify is with the way they pay artists. I try to spend money on the artists/bands Bandcamp page or buy a digital/physical copy either at the Electric Fetus or online. Considering my taste in music and that I listen to a lot of metal/post-punk bands from East/Southeast Asia, $ for imports plays a huge decision in my use of Spotify. I just want to put it out there that I am aware of the problems people have with Spotify. 

Comments

Popular Posts