Random Thoughts

Yesterday the line up for the 2020 Basilica Block Party was announced. I had 2 reactions: 1) Who are these bands? 2) So much diversity. Said no one ever. There was just ONE artist who is a POC and that is Nur-D but then again the Basilica Block Party isn't exactly known for inclusivity when it comes to their musical festival. I don't even think there was any POC on last year's bill, I only went because I wanted to see Chvrches and Metric. That is so damn lame. What is also lame is the majority of the acts goes over a lot of people's heads. I have heard of Sharon Van Etten, Weyes Blood, Hippo Campus, and Koo Koo Kanga Roo but the rest made me go "Who?". Considering that going to just one night of live music is not cheap, this year's line up is total shit.

After reading this list, I decided to call out Cities 97's bullshit music festival and the lack of diversity with an alternative line up. As a woman of color, this annual music festival and the lack of diversity is really telling about Cities 97. There isn't even any member of the LGBTQ community either in the line up that I know up.  Cities 97 needs to be called out on their lack of diversity with this shit show of a music festival. At least I could think of several musical acts that include people of color and queer people. This is bullshit. It isn't difficult to find people of color and queer people in the music industry to perform at the Basilica Block Party. It is really telling when a blogger like myself whose blog is relatively obscure can think of a better line up that is more inclusive and diverse than some stupid corporate radio station.

Star Tribune Stage:
Graveyard Club


Lady Midnight


Gully Boys


The Rope




Sanhedrin


Great Clips Stage:
Southern Avenue


Hatchie


Allison Moorer


Maggie Rogers


Yugen Blakrok


Natalie Hemby


Preferred One Stage:
The Highwomen


Yola


Tanya Tucker


Vagabon


FKA Twigs

Adia Victoria

Comments

Popular Posts