Playlist of the Week

One of my favorite podcasts I love listening to is Song Exploder (which is also a Netflix series) hosted by Hrishikesh Hirway. On each episode of Hrishikesh's podcast, the conversation centers around a particular artist or band. Hrishikesh meticulously edits out his side of the interview thus makes the conversation centered strictly on the artist so the listen hears only their story and the background behind the song. I think it is such a original and unique approach to podcasting which makes me love it and the Netflix series all the more so. On many podcasts, the host or hosts often finds a way to take over the conversations with their guests or likes to go off the subject matter (on True Crime podcasts) which is annoying AF. 

I only started listening to Song Exploder last year when Hrishikesh co-hosted the limited podcast series Homecooking with Samin Nosrat. There are like over 200 episodes. I have barely touched the surface on trying to play catch up on the podcast but it did not stop me from creating a playlist of my favorite songs featured on Song Exploder. The results is a playlist that has that mixtape vibe that I got when I made mixtapes as a child whether from cassettes, CDs, or songs off the radio. The selection of artists Hrishikesh has on his podcast are impeccable. Oh and listeners can hear the song that is discussed in the episode, in its entirety at the end. My current favorite episodes features Yusuf/Cat Stevens, Mustafa, Vagabon, and Billie Eillish which was the first Song Exploder episode I heard and that got me hooked.

If you haven't listened to Song Exploder (which can be found on all streaming platforms) or seen the series on Netflix, please go check it out. It is such a wonderful podcast for music fans like myself. 

Songs to Check Out:
Vagabon: Water Me Down
Garbage: Felt
Old Crow Medicine Show: Dearly Departed Friend
Arlo Park: Black Dog
Mustafa: Air Forces
Best Coast: Feeling Ok

Comments

Popular Posts