Playlist of the Week

Last week, I learned that it had been 37 years that The Bangles' second album Different Light came out. Different Light was one of my favorite albums I listened to as a teenager. The Bangles was my absolute favorite band in the 1980s. I quickly put together a playlist of my favorite songs from the band. I left off songs from their 2011 album Sweetheart of the Sun because I am just not a fan of the album. I don't hate the album, I just couldn't get into the music.

Back in my youth, I really wasn't a huge fan of their first album All Over the Place but as I get older I have come to appreciate the band's more garage rock sound. Their music isn't as polished as the music on Different Light. I didn't learn until my early 40s that "Going Down to Liverpool" was a Katrina and The Waves cover. I love both versions of the song.

Everything is by far my favorite Bangles album. I just love the harmonies on this album the best. I think their songwriting gotten better on this album. I think that is because they severed all ties with producer David Kahne which they had a horrible relationship. Different Light is a great album but it is pretty obvious who ran the show on that album, and it wasn't the band. I'm glad they freed themselves from David's dictatorship for their third album.

What I have always loved about the band was how everyone took turns singing lead vocals. I won't lie, my favorite songs were sung by the Peterson sisters and Michael Steel were my favorite. I will say that "If She Knew What She Wants" is a grossly underrated Bangles song. I really love Susanna Hoffs' vocals on that track.  

Songs to Check Out:
"Hazy Shade of Winter" (Simon and Garfunkel cover)
"Complicated Girl"
"If She Knew What She Wants"
"Going Down to Liverpool" (Katrina and The Waves cover)
"Single By Choice"
"I'll Set You Free"

Comments

Popular Posts