Album of the Week

For this week's Album of the Week, I chose Black Kirin's excellent acoustic EP Gengzi. Black Kirin is a black metal band from Changchun, China. They were one of the first bands that grabbed my attention when I started my quest for Asian heavy metal bands. I truly loved the combination of traditional Chinese folk music with black metal. It is so different from the heavy metal I listen to (i.e Nightwish, Battle Beast, Amaranthe, Ad Infinitum, and so on).  The tracks on Gengzi are going to be on the band's upcoming album Ascending but they were reworked for this EP for fans while the album is being worked on. As a new fan and have listened to a couple of their albums, I am super excited there is a new album in the works. Meanwhile this EP is fantastic. I love that traditional Chinese folk music meets modern rock music. There still are elements of black metal with the vocals. I definitely recommend giving this band a listen. 

Comments

Popular Posts