My Best of 2021 (so far)

I thought I would do a quarterly update of my list of what I consider the best albums to come out of 2021. My previous list was posted back in June. Between June and September, opinion has changed a bit. I decided to keep my list short and sweet. My final best of 2021 list will be somewhere between 15 and 20, possibly 25. I kept a couple of my faves from the last list (Morgan Wade and Serenity in Murder) but the rest is new.

It seems like Promised by the gothic metal band DengeL (Beijing, China) will be at the top of my best of 2021 list. I just haven't heard an album that has resonated with me as Promised has since August when I found the album on Bandcamp. Based on my online sleuthing awhile back, the band been dormant for a decade, give or take a year or more; re-recorded their 2 EPs they released back in the early to mid 2000s, and released the music as one full length album via Mort Productions (China's first heavy metal record label). I have been completely enraptured with the album. I just love HoRan's ethereal vocals and her bandmates' musical contributions. The album is simply perfect to my ears. The production is so well done.

Another great release from Mort Productions is the self-titled debut album by Twilight Blooming. The music is pagan folk/metal. 

While I have been listening to a lot of metal lately, I have stepped out of my comfort zone and have been listening to some country music (that is not garbage like Kenney Chesney and Toby Keith). Really dug the debut album by Morgan Wade. I recently discovered the joyous sounds of the sister act Chapel Act. Love the energy and the talent of the women. Finally got around to checking out Sturgill Simpson. I have been meaning to give his music a listen and I finally did. I loved what I had heard. 

01. DengeL: Promised


02. Twilight Blooming: Twilight Blooming


03. BTS: BTS, The Best


04. Serenity in Murder: Reborn


05. Morgan Wade: Reckless


06. Lovebites: Glory, Glory to the World


07. Sturgill Simpson: The Ballad of Dood and Juanita


08. Chapel Hart: The Girls Are Back in Town


09. Sonicave: A Collection of Absurd Tales


10. Black Kirian: Qian Nian

Comments

Popular Posts