Album of the Week

This morning I discovered the Japanese duo Kokusyoku Sumire when their 2014 album Cosmopolitan was recommended to me on Spotify. The duo of Yuka (vocalist) and Sachi (violinist) formed in 2004 in Tokyo, Japan. My curiosity was immediately piqued when I saw the album cover for Cosmopolitan with the two women all dressed up in their Lolita outfits. The rest was history. I was automatically hooked on the duo's sound. The duo's music reminded me so much of Emilie Autumn with their mix of classical, opera, European fairytales, and Japanese folk songs. 

Cosmopolitan was the first album I listened to today (also listened to their latest album Occult  which came out sometime this year). It is such a fun album to listen to especially on "Tulipholic" which is such a bouncy, infectious song. Yuka has a beautiful voice. She reminds me of my favorite singer Michal from the Japanese symphonic metal band Ancient Metal. Both women have incredible vocal ranges. Other favorite tracks off the album is "Melancholy of Artemis", Lily's Coffin", and "Souretsu". There isn't a single track on the album that I had to skip over. 

I think Kokusyoku Sumire is my favorite find I have discovered online this year. Their music is such a nice contrast to all the heavy metal I listen to on a daily basis.  Definitely plan on listening to the rest of their catalog this week. 

Comments

Popular Posts