My Current Favorite Songs of the Week

TGIF! This week has been a great week for music. I got a good mix of new and older songs. Enjoy!

I decided to include a track from Ayria's new album This is My Battle Cry for next week's playlist. I want to let the music on her new album sink in. I have listened to it once, and I really liked what I have heard on it.

During this week, I discovered the folk/metal sounds of Taiwanese artist Nini Music and have been listening to her music all week long. I just posted her Bandcamp link in the previous sentence. I recommend listening to her cover songs from Aerosmith to Nine Inch Nails. My current favorite track is "Mazu" which I have featured on this playlist.

Just a couple of days ago, I discovered that the progressive metal band Oceans of Slumber called Starlight and Ash. The albums as a whole is fantastic. One of my personal favorite tracks is the cover of "House of the Rising Sun". Of all the versions of this song, Oceans of Slumber's version is my favorite. It has a distinct southern gothic vibe to the song. 

I finally got to listening the new Lizzo album Special. I wish I listened to it when it first came out. The album is pure joy to listen to, all the songs are bops. I love watching the trajectory of Lizzo's career from performing around the Twin Cities for a few years to living her best life with a show on Amazon Prime, and cranking out hit songs from "Juice" to "About Damn Time" which I have included on my playlist. 

On the most recent episode of the music podcast Song Exploder, I discovered the artist Sudan Archives. That episode has Sudan dissect her song "Selfish Soul" from her album Athena.  She is a self-taught musician. Her music blends rhythm and blues with electronica, Sudanese fiddlers, and West African rhythms. It is wonderful album and so glad I discovered her music through my favorite podcast. My current favorite song is "Limitless". Looking forward to hearing her new album which comes out next month.  

Songs to Check Out:
"Mazu" by Nini Music  
"Limitless" by Sudan Archives
"About Damn Time" by Lizzo
"Crimson Stigmata" by Ancient Myth
"House of the Rising Sun" by Oceans of Slumber
"Dead and Gone" by Zola Jesus

Comments

Popular Posts