Band-Maid at House of Blues 11.01.2022

After months of waiting, I finally went to Chicago this week to go see the Japanese rock band Band-Maid at the House of Blues.I bought my ticket back in April and unfortunately, could not score a GA ticked for the main floor. I am going to start with my grievances. My opinion is not a reflection of the band members but that of the venue, and the band's managment. As someone who could only get a GA balcony and spent gobs of $ on travel and hotel arrangments, $150 to have a seat on one of the balcony boxes was ridiculous and something I could not afford. I would have gladly paid $100 but $150 was just out of my price range, and I felt it was quite classist. The venue is poorly designed. This show should have been at The Aragon Ballroom or The Vic. HOB is terrible especially for short people like myself. I ended up on the very top balcony and had to work to see the band perform by standing on part of my chair. I was able to see them just barely, it was my only option since the spaces where I could stand on the 2nd balcony wasn't feasible for someone at my height. SO yeah, I won't ever be going back to House of Blues for any band after Tuesday's experience. I also regret not getting merch before the show. Maybe come next pay day I will order something from the band online. So that is my grievances. I had better experiences at Concord Music Hall, The Vic Theater, and The Aragon.

As for the concert itself, the band was incredibly entertaining. Their albums are fantastic but they really don't capture how good the band is live. I really wish more metal and rock bands from Japan (and other Asian countries) would come to America. There definitely is a market for them, and not just for kpop groups. I really was pleasantly surprised to hear how loud Band-Maid is live. Their recordings truly don't do the band justice. People need to see Band-Maid live to get an idea of their music.  The band's interactions with the audience was highly entertaining and hilarious which makes seeing them live (and making the journey to Chicag). While the photos and the 60 second clip wasn't easy for me to get, I have included some images from the show. I have included a video of the entire show from Tuesday night. 







Comments

Popular Posts