Album of the week: Satanik Germanik by Hanzel und Gretyl



In case you haven't heard, Hanzel und Gretyl has a new album called Satanik Germanik. The album is released this Friday. I have known about it for some time but apparently a few of my friends just found out about this info via my personal Facebook page. In case anyone else hasn't been paying attention, the band has a new album out this Friday :).

I pre-ordered my copy (autographed)  in April or May with a t-shirt. My bundle arrived earlier this week. I have been listening to the album every chance I get. The wait was so worth it. The album picks up where 2014's Black Forest Metal left off its brutal, crushing black metal/industrial sounds, Satanic themes,and Brothers Grimm influenced lyrics. The music is uncompromising and heavy as fuck as one would expect from Hanzel und Gretyl after they decided to go down the industrial/metal road many years ago. What took me absolutely by surprise (in a very good way) is the choral music that the band incorporated into their sound. That made more sense than the band's attempt at co-opting Kid Rock's crappy music on Born to Be Heiled with "Ironstar Outlaws" and "I'm Moving to Deutschland". This album sounds so good to listen to at top volume. I thought Black Forest Metal was the band's heaviest effort to date, I was wrong. Satanik Germanik is heavier  and darker than their previous albums.

Asides from the classical influences, I also could not help but notice the heaviness of the drums and how much of a presence they have through out the album. The drums on track 4 "Weisseswald" (one of my favorite songs on the album) completely bludgeoned my ears (in a good way).  I can also say the same for "Hellfire Und Grimmstone", the drums on that song is so in your face and uncompromisingly brutal. Another great track is "Trinken Milt Der Kaizer (Die Bierz From Hell)"  which is a song that definitely needs to be cranked up as loud as possible. It has great melodies that makes me headbang along to the song yet super heavy and aggressive. I just love the thrash metal guitar riffs from Loopy. They are very loud, fast, and aggressive. He could probably make ears bleed for those who are not familiar with Hanzel und Gretyl's music.

I have been a fan of Hanzel und Gretyl for well over a decade. It is always a huge event for me when the band puts out new music. I was so not disappointed with Satanik Germanik. It is a great album and worth the four year wait. And as heavy and brutal HuG's music is, they always find ways to create music that isn't devoid of melodies. There are some great hooks in their music. I hope to see the band live one day. The only time I have seen them was on the Evildoers tour with Ministry many, many, many years ago. HuG was the reason I went to that show. If I have to go to Chicago to see them again, so be it.

Tracks:
01. Golden Dammerung
02. We Rise As Demons
03. Black Six Order
04. Weisseswald
05. I Am Bad Luck
06. Trinken Milt Der Kaizer (Die Bierz From Hell)
07. Hellfire Und Grimmstone
08. Sonnenkreuz
09. Unter Ailes
10. 13 Moons
11. Kinamreg Kinatas

Comments

Popular Posts