Album of the week

Initially I was going to have the new Sleepthief album Mortal Longing as this week's Album of the Week pick but I decided that it can wait when it officially comes out on 8/17. I will say that it is a wonderful album and was certainly well worth the wait for a new album from Justin.

Since I decided not to go with Mortal Longing for my blog entry last night, I opted to  go with Forever Distant by Expiring Time, a Russian synthpop band featuring Laly Fox on vocals and Dmitry Nordman on music. I discovered the band last week via Modern Synthpop Facebook page, a good source to discover new and/or unheard synthpop music. The band reminds me of two of my favorite synthpop bands (from Russia) Purple Fog Side and Pegasus Asteroid, and ironically Laly Fox is also a member of Purple Fog Side which would explain why Forever Distant reminded me  of Purple Fog Side (at least their album The Dischord which is quite good and worth listening to). The album is great but I do wish the group tried to carve out a sound that was a little more distinctive and did not sound like a complete clone of Laly's other band but that is a mere minor imperfection which I can easily overlook. As I have said before, the album is great. Love Laly's breathy vocals. Solid pop hooks through out the album. One of the first things I look for in music (to this music junkie) is melodies and whether they are there and if they are memorable, and they are definitely there throughout the album. My favorite track is "Default Values" because that is when the beats picks up. The synth arrangements by Dmitry on the entire album is fantastic! Very unique and distinctive from what I am used to hearing in the EBM scene. Dmitry's work on "Mountains" and "Timelines" really stands out with me the most with its intricate melodies and crisp synth beats.

If you are looking for new music, I easily recommend Expiring Time's debut album Forever Distant.

Songs to check out:
Signal Lights
Default Values
Mountains
Timelines

Comments

Popular Posts