Albums of the Week

I really wasn't sure which album I was going to post this week on my blog. It was a toss up between the new album Tan by Vietnamese metalcore band Windrunner and Return to Myself by Mari Hamada, an '80s/'90s Japanese pop/rock artist whose music I recently became a fan of thanks to Spotify. I decided to post both albums for my Album of the Week post.

I discovered Mari Hamada via YouTube when I came across the title track to "Return to Myself" album. Return to Myself came out in 1989. It really captures the sound of the '80s with the mix of rock and synthpop music. So far I have listened to 3 of Mari's albums, and Return to Myself is my favorite album so far. 

Windrunner I discovered last year when I began my deep dive into the heavy metal scene from all over Asia. The new album Tan recently came out last week. The band's sound has evolved since Duong Bui (vocalist) left to focus on her studies, and Nan took over. Their sound is more polished but still the band still retains their metalcore sound from their previous album Mai. I won't lie and say I miss the old sound however I am digging the new album a lot, it is the perfect soundtrack to my work day. Look forward to hearing more from this young band. I hope that their music reaches beyond the continent of Asia. 



Comments

Popular Posts