Margo Price with Lola Kirke at First Avenue 02.19.2023

Last night, I went to First Avenue to see outlaw country music artist Margo Price with Lola Kirke, a British-American actress and also singer/songwriter. I have been a fan of Margo Price for several years. Margo was featured on episode 2 of season 8 of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown (episode 2, season 8). Since that episode, I have been a fan. 

I will be honest, I went into Lola Kirke's set without being familiar with her music or even the fact she is also an actress (Gone Girl, Lost Girls, Free the Nipple to name a few of her films she has been in). Within seconds of her set, I was hooked. I see why Margo invited to tour with her. She had boundless energy, and her brand of Americana music was so enjoyable. I definitely plan on listening to her 2 studio albums this week Heart Head West and Lady For Sale . She mentioned that she and her band will be back in August at the 7th St Entry. I definitely plan on going to her show. 

Margo Price did not disappoint me. She and her band put on a fantastic live show for almost 2 hours. She played a good mix of music from her four albums Midwest Farmer's DaughterAmerican MadeThat's How Rumors Get Started, and Strays. Margo recently did an interview with the Star Tribune which people can read here Margo Price talks alcoholism, mushrooms, and family tragedy ahead of First Avenue gig. All of Margo's albums are great but her latest album Strays is my absolute favorite. I like the new direction she took, and I heard that new direction in her live show. I was getting lots of psychedelic, classic rock vibes especially Jefferson Starship and Grateful Dead. Margo even performed a killer cover of "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Starship which I have posted on my blog entry. I also posted a link to a short of Margo performing on the drums. She is a fantastic drummer. It was a great show. I saw that Margo loves performing live. Listening to her and her husband Jeremy Ivey harmonize on a lot of the songs was great too. Overall fantastic show. I'll definitely go see Margo again when she comes back to town in the near future, as well as Lola Kirke.

Comments

Popular Posts