My Favorite Metal Releases of 2023

2023 is looking to be a great year for heavy metal music. Taiwanese folk/metal band Bloody Tyrant released a new EP today called Hagakure II. I absolutely loved it. It includes the 2022 single "Kenshi Subete Heyru", one of my favorite songs last year. Next week will see the release of Japanese speed metal band Lovebite's Judgement Day, and next month Babymetal's The Other One.

After what happened with their previous singers in recent years, I have to admit symphonic metal bands Xandria and Delain each released really good albums. I have been enjoying the new Xandria album in particular but I still haven't reached the point of forgiven the band for pushing Dianne van Giersbergen out of the band several years ago. That band has gone through more singers in one decade than Nightwish. Misogyny isn't a good look for these Euro-centric metal bands. Even Liv Kristine formerly of Leaves' Eyes was fired from the band years ago.

My favorite metal releases so far are by Bloody Tyrant, Onmyo-za, and Twilight Blooming. I am sure that will change once Lovebites and Babymetal's albums comes out. I am particularly excited about Judgement Day by Lovebites. It will be the first album with their new bassist.

Bloody Tyrant: Hagakure II


Twilight Blooming: Song of the Warrior


Onmyo-za: Ryuuou Douji


Xandria: The Wonders Still Awaiting


Beyond the Black: Beyond the Black


Delain: Dark Waters


Awake Mountains

Comments

Popular Posts