Album of the Week

For this week's Album of the Week, I went with the debut album Dawn by the melodic death metal band Omelas which came out last week. I discovered the band via their record label Repentless Records, a Japanese based record label (home to my other favorite bands Ancient Myth and Ghost Cries).  As a big fan of the Japanese death metal bands Ghost Cries and Serenity in Murder, Omelas is right up my alley. The music is loud and aggressive AF. Unlike SIM, Omelas' frontwoman Coco (who once was in the band Ghost Cries) will occasionally switch from harsh to clean vocals throughout the album like on "Hope" and "Vegas". The sound of Omelas is very similar to Ghost Cries but at the same time they have their own sound. Omelas' sound is heavier and more aggressive. Coco spends most of the album growling and screaming.  One of my favorite tracks is "Coward's Say". I love how Coco just tears through that song with so much aggression. IMO it is the most aggressive track on the album. "Pharos" comes in close second, another great track. Overall, I love this album. Japan truly has one of the best metal scenes on the planet. For a small country, their metal scene is huge and diverse. 

Comments

Popular Posts