My Current Favorite Songs of the Week

TGIF! Hope people don't mind listening to a lot of songs not in English, the songs are either in Vietnamese or in Japanese 😉. 

I really don't give a F what westernized metal media outlets say about the new Babymetal album The Other One. It is a solid good METAL album. People can just say they don't like things and be done with it or not say anything at all. The metal scene is so full of gatekeepers, it is so gross. This is why I tend to stick to listening to bands that aren't westernized and white AF. Gatekeeping leads to shittier opinions IMO (aka misogyny, racism, and anti-LGBTQ, hell to the no on those topics with this metalhead). Really digging the track "Metalizm" right now.

Another good J-metal album I have been listening quite a bit lately is Nostalgia by Saiseiga. The band reminds me a bit of Nemophilia and ArkRoyal, 2 up and coming J-metal bands. "Ambition" is featured on this week's playlist.

My absolute favorite songs are "Hoa Cuc Dai" by Vpop artist Toc Tien, "NGHIEP" by Vietnamese heavy metal band Metanoia, and "La Anh" from Vietnamese singer/songwriter Pham Lich. They have been getting constant streaming from me. "Hoa Cuc Dai" is from the Netflix film Furies (also known as Thanh Soi, Vietnam's first original film for Netflix). The film is a prequel to Furie. The action sequences are incredible. Warning though, film is quite violent and there are SA scenes so not for the faint of heart. Toc Tien also stars in the film as Thanh (my favorite character). She contributes to the film with her infectious '80s new wave sounding "Hoa Cuc Dai". I wish I understood Vietnamese but the production on this track makes me forget about that fact, and it is just a ton of fun to listen to. I absolutely love the synthesizers on this track, they took me back to the '80s. I listen to this song at least 12x during my work day.

"La Anh" is a light, airy folk/pop song I discovered on IG. From what I have gathered, the Pham Lich/BMV version is a cover. Not really sure who wrote it and performed it first. I do love the song. It is a beautiful song. I listen to it almost as I do "Hoa Cuc Dai" during my work day. 

I have already spoke my piece about Metanoia's "NGHIEP" in a previous blog post. The song rocks. It is my current favorite song by the Vietnamese metal outfit.

Signs is no Poem or Karma, but I do think it is one Delerium's better albums in recent years. Definitely like it more than Music Box Opera. I have been listening to it at least a few times a week, with past albums I completely forget about them. Current favorite song is the first track "Falling Back to You" with Mimi Page on vocals.

Songs to Check Out:
"Hoa Cuc Dai" (Than Soi soundtrack) by Toc Tien
"La Anh" by Pham Lich, BMZ
 "NGHIEP" by Metanoia
"Tra Family" by Maggie Tra
"Falling Back to You" by Delerium, Mimi Page
"Metalizm" by Babymetal
"Hikari" by Moon in June
"Ambition" by Saiseiga
"Thoat" by Kurrock


Comments

Popular Posts