Playlist of the Week

Last Monday of the month, here is this month's mix of my favorite songs I listened to this month. 

I discovered a lot of new music when I started putting together a mix that centered around the Vietnamese music scene my re-titled Vietnam Metal/Rock mix now titled The Modern Sounds of Vietnam. My favorite discovery though is the song "Hoa Cuc Dai" by V-pop artist Toc Tien who also acts in the film. I heard the song in the highly entertaining Vietnamese action/thriller film Furies/Thanh Soi (on Netflix), it is a prequel to Furie (on Amazon Prime). The song is a fun, infectious '80s influenced dance track. I have been listening to the song a few times a day. The song has some killer pop hooks. 

2 weeks ago when I started into my journey into the Vietnamese music scene, I discovered the alternative rock band Anesthetic Youth on Spotify. Their album Echoes has been one of my favorite finds. I really wish the band didn't go on an indefinite hiatus.

Another great Vietnamese band I really love now is the modern metal band Metanoi especially their song "Loi" . Just like Anesthetic Youth, I discovered Metanoi on Spotify. The band has a few singles out, and currently working on their first EP. I am looking forward to hearing it. 

In general, I am really liking the artists and bands from Vietnam I am finding. The metal bands like Metanoia, Leukotomy, and Diarsia are my personal favorite but I am digging the poppier sounds from Toc Chien or the alternative rock sounds of The Cassette and Anesthetic Youth. 

The new songs by Chthonic, Vintersea, and Serenity in Murder tracks seriously slaps. I will say this as much as I love the new SIM song, I truly hope their next album doesn't stray too far from their melodeath sound that I have come to love. "Matrix" slightly sounds a bit too polished but overall solid metal track. The new Chthonic song "Pattonkan" is classic Chthonic. Fingers crossed for a new Chthonic album later this year or maybe early 2024. The new Vintersea track "At the Gloaming Void" definitely did not disappoint this fan. Classic Vintersea. I definitely will have to pre-order their third album when that time arrives.

Songs to Check Out:
"Hoa Cuc Dai" by Toc Tien
"Pattonkan" by Chthonic
"Loi" by Metanoia
"Nhu Mi" by Jaigon Orchestra
"Fortune and Fame" by Anesthetic Youth
"Dung Hoa" by Limebocx
"Rise" by Nemophilia
"Matrix" by Serenity in Murder
"Ambition" by Saiseiga
"Don't Stop Believin'" by T-Pain (Journey cover)  
"At the Gloaming Void" by Vintersea

Comments

Popular Posts