What I am currently listening to

Yay for new music! The new albums by White Lies and Within Temptation came out yesterday (along with new Boy Harsher but I heard that last week courtesy of NPR). I have only listened to the new White Lies and Within Temptation albums once, and from what I have heard the music is alright but I need more time for the  music to grow on me.

I almost forgot how good the music by The Mavericks is, I finally got around to listening to their compilation I borrowed from the library. I loved the music so much I ordered a copy of the album. I love that their music isn't straight up country music but a mix of rockabilly, neotraditional country, Tex-Mex, and Latin influences. Lead singer Raul Malo has a gorgeous voice. 

Also spent a lot of time this week listening to Rhiannon Giddens and her former band the Carolina Chocolate Drops. Today I found out that Ken Burns' upcoming documentary in the fall will be about country music. I really hope that it will include Giddens and her former band as well as the fact that country music has black roots. There is a great article from Ebony magazine 3 years ago that explains the black roots of country music The Uproad Over Beyonce's CMA Performance Ignores Country Music's Black Roots. Giddens and Carolina Chocolate Drops has contributed so much to modern day country music it would be foolish for Ken not to include them in the documentary.

Joy Williams (formerly of The Civil Wars) has a new EP out called Front Porch. I love it. She's great. I take it that there is a new album in the horizon. I can hardly wait for a new album from Joy. Loved her work with The Civil Wars and her solo album Venus.

Albums:






























Playlists:








Podcasts:
The Vanished
Casefile
Aria Code
The Cheryl Reeve Show
Good Food

Comments

Popular Posts