My current favorite songs of the week

TGIF! This has definitely been an interesting week for music. I discovered through Facebook earlier this week that there is such a genre known as Mongolian folk music. I came across a video by the Mongolian band called The Hu. They are relatively a new band. They currently have a couple of singles out and had formed in late 2018, so no full length album. Of the two songs I have heard by the band, "Yuve Yuve Yu" is my favorite (which is featured on this week's playlist). I also did a little research and found a couple of other Mongolian folk bands on Spotify like Hanggai, and Altai Khangai. That is some really interesting music. I also found a couple of Vietnamese metal bands which I have included a YouTube clip from each band. Not sure what has happened to Parasite but Thuy Trieu released an album out last year which I should listen to sometime this weekend. So nice to find some music from Asia that isn't manufactured pop or worse yet Babymetal whose music is absolutely hideous IMO. 

Our Native Daughters's much anticipated album (to me) Songs of Our Native Daughters finally came out officially (although NPR had it up on their website last week). It is a fantastic collection of American folk music sung by Rhiannon Giddens (Carolina Chocolate Drops), Allison Russell (Birds of Chicago), Leyla McCalla (Carolina Chocolate Drops), and Amythyst Kiah. The Guardian has a great write up about the album Songs of Our Native Daughters review which people can learn more about what brought about this group led by Rhiannon Giddens and historical context of the album's music. There are so many good songs on the album I  ended up choosing the final track on the album "You're Not Alone" (which Allison Russell sings lead on). I love this collaborative effort by my new favorite artists outside of the post-punk scene. I hope this is not a one album project. IMO, the folk music scene (and music scene in general) needs a band like Our Native Daughters. I love seeing women of color come together to create such amazing music, and uplift each other as opposed to tearing each other done often seen in the media.

Earlier this week I finally got around to listen to the country/roots/blues music of  Lindi Ortega, and I absolutely love what I have heard so far. I have a few songs by Lindi Ortega on this week's playlist but I must say the song "Lovers in Love" is my favorite of the three tracks. Such a lovely track and a major earworm too.

The rest of the playlist is a mix bag. I love the new Piroshka and Ladytron albums. Still listening to the heck out of them since I bought the albums last week. I can now say NPR's All Songs Considered is a great source to discover new music. I discovered the sounds of Palehound and Westkust courtesy of NPR. I love what I had heard from these two bands. I definitely need to listen to more of their music this weekend.

Songs to check out:
"You're Not Alone" by Our Native Daughters
"Cotton Skies" by Westkust
"Killer" by Palehound
"The Mountain" by Ladytron
"Lovers in Love" by Lindi Ortega
"Baifang (Back to You)" by Hanggai
"Yuve Yuve Yu" by The Hu
"Azalea" by Nine Treasures





Comments

Popular Posts