Playlist of the week

For the past 2-3 days, I have been editing my Random Mix playlist. I felt like it need to be freshened up a bit with some new tunes (either old faves or different tunes). I still have a good chunk of my favorite songs, just switched things up a bit. I love this playlist because it is so random with genres ranging from Americana to synthpop. It is a great mix to listen to when going to work, going home, and when I am on the treadmill.

I don't know why it took me so long but I finally got around to checking out the music by Lindi Ortega. I came across her album at The Electric Fetus last Friday when I went there to do some CD shopping, and her name immediately became ingrained in my head. Today at work I decided to listen to her album Liberty. Considering the sort of music I have been listening to in recent weeks, it should come to no surprise to anyone that I loved what I had heard right away. My current favorite song on the album: "Pablo".

I have been really digging the sounds of Carolina Chocolate Drops. Damn shame I discovered them too late, would have loved to have seen them live. Leaving Eden is easily my favorite album by the black stringed band although Genuine Negro Jig does have some really great tracks like their fantastic cover of "Hit 'Em Up Style". Anyhoo, the last track on Leaving Eden "Pretty Bird" truly showcases the raw talent of Rhiannon Giddens. If you haven't heard of Riannon Giddens and her amazing talents , check out "Pretty Bird". Her contributions to the music industry as well as this country (mixing black history with music) makes her a national treasure IMO.

Yesterday I came across the Mongolian rock band The Hu in my newsfeed on Facebook. They are a fairly new band. They only have two songs out but I loved what I had heard. My favorite song is "Yuve Yuve Yu" which you can find on YouTube. Love the use of traditional Mongolian instruments. I hope I don't have to wait too long for a full length album.

Really enjoying the music I bought over the weekend. I hope one day Piroshka makes a trip to the US for a tour (even if it is brief). I have no doubts Brickbat would sound amazing live. I also hope that Ladytron will tour the US again. I would love to see them live.

Songs to check out:
"Yuve Yuve Yu" by The Hu
"Code Blue" by I Ya Toyah
"The Mountain" by Ladytron
"Astral Plane" by Valerie June
"Gaslight" by Snow Tha Product
"The Mountain" by Ladytron
"Pablo" by Lindi Ortega
"What's Next" by Piroshka
"Quiet" by MILCK
"Pretty Bird" by Carolina Chocolate Drops
"Tomorrow is My Turn" by Nina Simone

Comments

Popular Posts