My 10 favorite cover songs

It seems like a lot of my favorite songs of lately are interpretations (or cover songs). I thought for tonight's blog post I would share my ten favorite cover songs. One of my favorite songs is from Rhiannon Gidden's former band Carolina Chocolate Drops. They did a lively version of Blu Cantrell's "Hit 'Em Up Style". To hear the song in more organic sound with live stringed instruments gives the song a more playful twist. I couldn't resist and add a couple of songs Rhiannon did for her first album "Waterboy" (an American Folk song composed by Avery Robinson) and "Don't Let It Trouble Your Mind" (a very early Dolly Parton song). It is amazing how Rhiannon can take some really early folk or country music and turn it into her own. I absolutely adore her version of "Waterboy". She really lets her voice shines through on the song (especially in the live clips I have seen on YouTube).  My favorite cover song at the moment is Amythyst Kiah's haunting version of Clarence Ashley's sparse country classic "Dark Holler". I don't know which I love more the fact that Amythyst is singing the song from a queer woman's POV which makes the song all the more heartbreaking to listen to, or her powerful vocals. Of course this playlist isn't completely devoid of any post-punk/darkwave. I did throw in Siouxsie and The Banshee's version of "The Passenger" by Iggy Pop, and Kirlian Camera's beautiful cover of "Hymn" by Ultravox.

01. Dark Holler (Clarence Ashley)


02. Don't Let It Trouble Your Mind (Dolly Mind)


3. Hit 'Em Up Style (Blu Cantrell)


4. Thunderstruck (AC/DC)


05. Blue Moon (Al Bowlly)


06. Downpour (Brandi Carlile)


07. The Story (Brandi Carlile)


08. Waterboy (Avery Robinson)


09. Hymn (Ultravox)


10. The Passenger (Iggy Pop)

Comments

Popular Posts