Album of the week

Last week I was listening to NPR's All Songs Considered and the name MILCK (aka Connie Lim, daughter of Chinese immigrants) was mentioned on their best of 2018 episode. The music podcast played a 1-2 minute long clip of her song Black Sheep, and I automatically fell in love with the song. I loved the positive vibes that oozes out of the song. I wished this song was around back in 2017 when I was going through my dark period of my personal life. I truly needed to hear a song like this at the time. Anyhoo, I immediately searched and found her debut EP This is Not The End (from Atlantic Records) on Spotify, and as the old adage goes the rest is history. According to her biography on Spotify, MILCK had been performing around Los Angeles for a decade and releasing her music independently before her record deal with Atlantic. This is Not The End is her debut EP for her label. It is a short yet beautiful collection of pop/soul. Her training in classical piano and opera shines through her music. The music isn't loud or in your face. It is quiet and soothing pop music with a hint of soul and electronic music thrown into the mix. Love all the songs on the album.

As an Asian American, I must and will say that it is refreshing to see a musician who is Asian not to resort to the stereotypes that often befalls the Asian community (i.e Babymetal and just about every single K pop act). I like that she lets her music speak for itself and does not rely on some gimmicky image. I so look forward to hearing more music from MILCK.

Comments

Popular Posts