My current favorite podcasts

In the past couple of years, I have really gotten into podcasts. I started listening to them in 2017 when I lost my father and music didn't really hold my interest. For awhile I loved true crime but in the past year, I am starting to feel like the victims and survivors are being exploited the media so I have cut back on the true crime genre but I still listening to it, just more choosy about what I listen to. Whenever I am not in a mood for music, I will go listen to one of my favorite podcasts at work.

My personal favorite podcast is The Vanished Podcast which covers missing people. The host helps gives voice to the families and friends of missing loved ones who have disappeared off the face of the earth. I appreciate that the host wants to help those families as opposed to using them for clout like a lot of true crime podcasts do nowadays and it makes them those stories feel exploitive.

Casefile True Crime used to be my favorite tc podcast but I am starting to listen to it with less excitement especially the latest episode. I googled the victim and it is a hard pass for me because the story is too gruesome. Yeah no thanks. Any extreme violent crime is a no for me. I am also not big on the fact that a lot of their stories that they have been covering lately are cold cases that have gone unsolved.

Dateline NBC is my audio version of a soap opera. I love listening to current or past episodes of Dateline at work.

I recently started listening to the podcasts Today in True Crime and The Dark Side Of. Today in True Crime covers true crime on the current date. I like that it is not even a half hour long. On my birthday yesterday, the episode was about Gerald Ford pardoning Richard Nixon of his crimes involving Watergate. Today was the Attica Prison riots, I need to read up on that event because it was fascinating as hell although disturbing at the same time.

Outside of true crime, I adore Jemele Hill is Unbothered. Go Google Jemele Hill if you don't know who she is, the woman is highly insightful and funny as hell too on social media and on her podcast. She also writes for The Atlantic (and used to work for ESPN).  Jemele Hill always has some interesting and colorful guests. Her ending segment Fuck it! I'm Bothered is hilarious. She goes on a rant on whatever the hot topic is on social media.  Her rant on brussel sprouts is my fave. While I may disagree with her on the subject, I can't help but empathize with how she feels about the cousin of the cabbage.

For laughs, The Unofficial Expert with Sydnee Washington and Marie Faustin, two hilarious comedians who often has guests on their podcast talking about whatever he or she is an "expert" on (i.e like being blonde or Irish). Sometimes it is just the two women and their hot, gay producer/intern Andrew.

For pop culture, Keep It! is my absolute must listen to every Tuesday/Wednesday. It is so much more entertaining than NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour and the hosts Ira and Louis don't take themselves so seriously.

Good Food with Evan Kleinman who has been a guest on The Chef Show on Netflix is the only food podcast I listen to regularly. I enjoy listening to Evan. She is earnest but not irritating like some hosts on other food related podcasts. I do miss hearing the late legendary food critic Jonathan Goldman (RIP) on the show.


















Comments

Popular Posts