Playlist of the Week

Here is this week's playlist of the week. Blame it on Ken Burns' excellent documentary on country music which I have been watching on a nightly basis since it began last week. You can watch it for free on PBS' website. A good number of the songs on this playlist is featured in the documentary series but there are quite a few songs that are not and goes back to my teenage years. When I was about 17/18 I did briefly listen to some country music but for the most part I was more into alternative rock music.

Right now I am really digging the sounds of Hank Williams' granddaughter Holly Williams, June Carter's daughter Carlene Carter, and Johnny Cash's daughter Rosanne Cash.  The musical genes has definitely been passed down from (grand) parent to child. Carlene is an uncanny look alike of her mother June, it is almost unsettling to me. Still I am glad to see Carlene is back making music. From what I have read her life hasn't been easy. I love Johnny's version of Tennessee Flat Top Box" but I just love Rosanne's version even more so. I never heard her version until Ken Burns' documentary series. It is so damn good.

Songs to check out:
"Drinkin'" by Holly Williams
"Tennessee Flat Top Box" by Rosanne Cash
"Tempted" by Marty Stuart"
"Every Little Thing" by Carlene Carter
"From Hell to Paradise" by The Mavericks
"You Belong to Me" by Patsy Cline

Comments

Popular Posts