The HU at the Fine Line on 09.11.19

If you have been living in a cave for the past several months and have no idea who The HU (Mongolian folk/metal band)is then shame on you. I just had the immense pleasure of seeing the band last night at the Fine Line. Minneapolis was the first date on their first and extensive North American tour. The show was a sold out show. The audience ranged from young to old which was both interesting and cool to see, and of various races. I did take notice that the local Mongolian community came out to support the band.For a band whose debut album The Gereg does not come out until tomorrow, I was impressed that the show sold out. The band's popularity stems from their music videos Wolf Totem and Yuve Yuve Yu went viral last year, and word of mouth of their music quickly spread like wildfire. The band's set was over an hour long Asides from where I was standing which was close to the stage which for this show was not fun for personal reasons because of a couple of people who almost ruined my night for their pettiness, I had a blast.

Of the folk/metal bands I have been listening to for the past several months, The HU are my personal favorite. I am so planning on buying their debut album ASAP (hope to make a trip to the record store tomorrow). The instruments the band uses includes modern instruments (guitar, bass, and drums) but also the traditional Morin Khuur and Mongolian guitars. You can read more about the band on Vice This Insanely Popular Mongolian Band Metal Band Makes Music Using Traditional Instruments. Judging by social media, the band's tour is selling out because of the hype which the band definitely lives up to. If you can, go see them. Seeing the band live is a real treat.









Comments

Popular Posts