Playlist of the week

Over the weekend, I discovered through a friend on Spotify the musical project Imaginary Flying Machines. IFM is a collection of European and Japanese bands who reinterpreted the songs Hiyao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli. I am a massive fan of all things Studio Ghibli (I have tattoos of Totoro and No Face on the back of my legs). The results is mind-blowing. It is incredible to hear some of my favorite songs from Studio Ghibli turned into super aggressive metal tracks. I decided to put all three albums (2 original and 1 remix) into one playlist. I love that despite the heaviness of the music, the integrity of the songs remains intact. The familiar melodies are still recognizable. The remix album is okay but I honestly think it was no really necessary to put out but that is just my two cents. My favorite track is "Itsumo Nandodemo" from Spirited Away. I find myself listening to that song nonstop. The song has always been a favorite of mine with its unforgettable hooks but as a heavy metal song, I adore it even more so. If it was not for my Facebook/Spotify friend, I would not have discovered the Princess Ghibli albums. They are so much fun to listen to especially at work.

Songs to check out:
"Kimi Wo Nosete (Laputa: Castle in the Sky)"
"Gake No Ue No Ponyo (Ponyo)"
"Itsumo Nandodemo (Spirited Away)"
"Arrietty's Song (Japanese Version)"
"Nausicaa Requiem (Nausicaa Valley of the Wind)"

Comments

Popular Posts