My Top 10 Current Favorite Albums of the Week

2024 has started off on the right foot for new heavy metal music releases. 

Hong Kong doom metal band Chimeras finally released their debut album this past Friday. I discovered the band back in 2021 via YouTube. I knew the band was working on album, just didn't know when it would come out. I don't doubt the political climate in Hong Kong, and the global pandemic had some effect on the album's release but it sure was well worth the wait. 

Symphonic heavy metal supergroup Exit Eden also released a new album last Friday called Femme Fatales. I didn't even know they were working on a second album until I heard their first single "Run!" late last year. I was not disappointed. The album is a good mix of original songs and cover songs. Love the new album.

Japanese metal band Ryujin (formerly Gyze) released their debut self-titled album under their new name. While the album felt a little long for me, I did enjoy it quite a bit.

BTW...saying Exit Eden is NOT metal is obnoxious gatekeeping and it comes off as misogynistic AF. Exit Eden is metal. End of debate. Just a reminder a queer, Black woman named Sister Rosetta Tharpe is responsible for the electric guitar rock sound of rock music. Women has a rightful place in metal. Secondly, not all heavy metal music is going to involve harsh, guttural vocals. Just full stop. I saw someone on YouTube say this on one of the band's videos in the dumpster fire comments section hence I decided to address that nonsense here. Gatekeeping is terrible behavior. If people have problems with women and BIPOC taking up space in the heavy metal scene, that is their problem, not everyone else's. At some point, male metal fans need to grow the f**k up and accept the fact the scene is changing and becoming less male, white, and heterosexual.

01. Exit Eden: Femme Fatales


02. Chimeras: Silent Cries in the Stifling Haze


03. Mondtraume: Heart Machine


04. Blonde Redhead: Sit Down for Dinner


05. Various Artists: Gyeonseong Creature


06. yeule: softscars


07. Gungire: Scattered


08. Gungire: Surge


09. Sirenia: 1977


10. Ryujin: Ryujin

Comments

Popular Posts