Playlist of the Week

Last week, I was listening to the Sleater-Kinney episode of Broken Record podcast. I think it was Carrie Brownstein who brought up the name Hammerbox, a 90s grunge band. I immediately was inspired to create a new 90s Spotify playlist. I should note that I included a few songs that came out in the '80s but didn't discover them until I was in high school or in my first year in college. 

My taste in music between my later years in high school through my early 20s ran a gamut from alternative to shoegaze music. I was influenced by people I surrounded myself with or the radio (when it didn't suck so much as it does nowadays).  In high school/freshman year in college, I was big on college radio like rev 105, and the alternative pop/rock sounds of Cities 97 (that station was incredible in the '90s). When I went to the University of Iowa in Cedar Falls for one year (which was not fun), they had a really good college rock station I listened to and a decent record store to find some cool alternative rock music. I also bought a bit of music through the dearly departed BMG music club.  Cities 97 gave me my first introduction to Sarah McLachlan and Loreena McKennitt. Too bad the station plays boring ass, mediocre music nowadays. 

When I lived in Milwaukee for a few years, I had a roommate who introduced me to the electronic sounds of Moby, Delerium, and Leftfield. During that period in my life I was introduced to KMFDM which eventually would lead me down the path towards goth and industrial music. I also lived near a cool indie record store called Atomic Records. That is where I found new music I never heard before like Saint Etienne, Army of Lovers, Sleater-Kinney, and Ani Difranco.

Songs to Check Out:
"Hole" by Hammerbox
"Joey" by Concrete Blonde
"Gepetto" by Belly
"Love U More" by Sunscreem
"The Wheel" by Rosanne Cash
"Alleluias" by Solar Twins
"Pale Movie" by Saint Etienne
"Maria" by Blondie

Comments

Popular Posts