CD reviews of the week

This week has been a very good week for me with new music. The cds I ordered online last week arrived this week so I am excited to say the very least. So lets get started.

SynthetiXXX: Magia De Cuatro

SynthetiXXX is a Russian synthpop group that I discovered through A Different Drum Records. What makes this group unique is that all their songs is sung in spanish. Doesn't really make sense but the group surprisngly pulls it off quite well. Magia De Cuatro is quite good. For the most part. There was a 2-3 songs where the melodies fell flat with me and that was like towards the end of the album. Despite a couple of clunkers, the music has a good beat and quite catchy. There is certainly a trance element to the group's sound but I think it is very synthpoppy. I enjoy Evgenia Pryadkina's vocals. She has a very pleasant voice. It isn't too weak or too powerful. Her vocals are never overwhelmed by the music provided by Pavel Pryadkin, Oleg Sergeyev, and Dmitriy Lappo. I definitely think this is worth the $20 I spent on it.

Colony 5: Buried Again

It has officially been a year since I have started listening to Colony 5. The band's best-of compilation Colonisation was my first Colony 5 album and I was immediately hooked. Next came Fixed, and now Buried Again. I must say Buried Again is my favorite. While the music still maintains the group's core synthpop sound, it is obvious by the beats that the guys are taking their music in a heavier direction (more EBM). The songs are still as melodic as their earlier material but set to harsher beats like on "Get Off My Back". I am hoping when the band puts out a new album, the music will pick off where Buried Again left off. If not, I can't complain. I dig their more synthpoppy stuff as well.

Kirlian Camera: Odyssey Europa

Ever since I saw the video for the new Kirlian Camera song "Nightglory", I have been on a Kirlian Camera kick. I decided to splurge and treat myself to Odyssey Europa, a 2 cd best-of compilation (sort of) of the band's music dating back to the 1980s. The 2 cd set features previously unreleased tracks like their cover of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" and different versions of "Blue Room", "Erinnerung", and "Drifting" just to name a few. Disc 1 features the current Kirlian Camera line up while disc 2 features past line ups. It is interesting to compare the past and present sounds of this talented band. I have to admit I do have a soft spot for the more recent material the band has been putting out but I do also enjoy their past material too.

All My Faith Lost: As You're Vanishing in Silence

All My Faith Lost is a recent discovery I found through youtube. I was recommended a clip of their song so needless to say I checked it out and absolutely loved what I heard. So last month I ordered a copy of "As You're Vanishing in Silence". I finally got it earlier this week (item was shipped out from Switzerland). I was not disappointed. The music is very mellow and relaxing. It is a very soothing mix of neo-classical, folk, and darkwave not too different from Lycia and old Black Tape For a Blue Girl. Viola's delicate vocals often remind me of Hope Sandoval of Mazzy Star but not as whispery or as high as hers. I really enjoy listening to this album at any time of day. The music is enchanting. There is not a single track on the album that I did not care for. The long wait was definitely worth it.

I have also received a copy of Combustion by Decoded Feedback but the music needs to grow on me before I can write a review of it.  The music isn't sticking out with me as Aftermath has. I'll write a review of it when I can

Comments

Popular Posts