My current favorite songs of the week

TGIF everyone! For a short work week (of three whole days), it still felt like the usual five day work week. I got a good mix of post-punk, dreampop,noise pop, black metal industrial, darkwave, synthpop, and everything in between.

I got the new Hanzel und Gretyl album Satanik Germanik (I had pre-ordered it back a couple of months ago). I have been listening to the album every damn day. The music is heavy AF. It was so worth the wait and money (I got the autographed CD and shirt package). I had difficult time choosing which song to put on this week's playlist but ultimately I  chose "Hellfire Und Grimmstone". Satanik Germanik is such a fun album to listen to as loud as possible. They may give Autumn's Chandelier a run for its money as my #1 favorite album of 2018. Heavy emphasis on "may".

Speaking of Chandelier, I am still listening to the hell out of the album since it was released at the end of March. I don't think it is possible for me to get sick of the album or any of the songs. I love how the album kicks off with such an upbeat track like "Beginnings". That is one of those songs that I have to hear each day especially if I am hit with a wave of grief. "Beginnings" always makes me feel a bit better on days when I am not doing so hot for whatever reasons. At the moment though, my favorite song from the album is "Shadow Girl 2". Love that the band did a follow up to "Shadow Girl" from Return to the Breath.

This week I have been listening to a lot is What I Speak I Create by the NYC band A Place Both Wonderful and Strange. Got a couple of tracks from the album on my playlist. I am glad I got to see them last month at the Autumn CD release party. Good stuff. Go check out their music.

Another album released recently I have been listening to on a regular basis is Amends by Them Are Us Too. If you remember back in 2016, the massive fire at the Ghost Ship in Oakland, Cash Askew perished in the fire. I didn't become interested in Them Are Us Too until I saw the video for "Floor" via Facebook. Since I have gotten more serious into dream pop, Them Are Us Too's music got me hooked right away when I started listening to Amends this week. The songs on Amend are a collection of unfinished songs that surviving member Kennedy Ashlyn and Cash's closest friends and family, and sadly what would be the last Them Are Us Too release. I am glad that Kennedy chose to finish these songs and release them to the public as a tribute to Cash. I have included a couple of my favorite tracks off Amends because I just could not pick one track. I so recommend checking out Amends and Remain, their first album.

I am not going to lie, I was never crazy about Amelia Arsenic's work with her former band Angelspit. I would be a bloody hypocrite if I said I was but out of sheer curiosity today I decided to listen to her new EP Queen of Risk. I was really shocked by how insanely good the music is, especially the song "Rx Love". I would like to see her live this fall when she is in town with Cyanotic and some other bands but the timing is not very good between a doctor's appointment and my trip to Chicago for my birthday.

I know I have said this on many occasions but 2018 has been a fantastic year for new music. It has been awhile when I have been smothered in new music and liking the majority of what I have heard. I am super excited to hear the new VNV Nation album Noir when it comes out later this year, and new Ladytron too.

Songs to check out:
"Shadow Girl 2" by Autumn
"Grey Water" by Them Are Us Too
"Rx Love" by Amelia Arsenic
"Cinder" by a place both wonderful and strange
"Hellfire Und Grimmstone" by Hanzel und Gretyl

Comments

Popular Posts