Album Of The Week: Midwest Farmer's Daughter by Margo Price

Country music to me is a love it or hate it. I love the sounds of Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, Johnny Cash, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, Kasey Chambers, but not so much with Kenny Chesney, Blake Shelton, former country star gone pop Taylor Swift, and Carrie Underwood. A couple of weeks ago I came across the Nashville episode of Parts Unknown on CNN and fell in love with the sounds of Margo Price. I was reminded me of early Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn. I can hardly believe that Margo was rejected by 30 record companies before signing to Jack White's Third Man Records. Her album is so damn good. Country music today would be much more compelling to listen to if it went back to its traditional roots and not the crappy pop route.

There is nothing fake or dishonest about Margo's music. She writes from her heart and from personal experience. "Weekender" is by far my favorite song on the album. The lyrics are so highly entertaining to listen to, plus the song has great melodies. I also adore the song "Hurtin' (On the Bottle)". The entire album is a delight to listen to. It is so nice to hear a country album that does not sound like the artist is trying to be a pop star. Check it out!

Comments

Popular Posts