Some Food For Thought: Women's History Month (my current musical influences as an adult)

Well I thought tonight I would blog about my musical influences as an adult for my Women's History Month series but considering how much I have to write, I have decided to split it into two parts. Tonight's blog will be about my current influences and the second part will be about the women who has influenced me in my adult years.

Right now I have been listening to a few interesting pop artists: Icona Pop, Charli XCX, and Sky Ferreira. I really love a good solid pop hook and these women have created some of the catchiest pop songs in recent years. I am particularly digging the pop duo Icona Pop. Their music is brash and fun. It's happy music for me. It will be interesting how all their careers will evolve throughout the years. I hope their careers don't go on a downward spiral like Lady Gaga's career especially with her dismal third album Artpop and that stupid stunt of being vomited on at SXSW. I will be bloody honest. I did love Lady Gaga's music when she first came out. Her music was incredibly infectious and addictive but for me her music quickly became overshadowed by Lady G's public persona and I grew weary of it. Also I was not impressed with her third album which I found lacking in any decent melodies in my personal opinion. Still I do credit Lady Gaga for making pop music a bit more interesting in recent years. I still think a lot of if is rubbish but every now and then something will grab my undivided attention and make me love it like Lady Gaga did in 2009.

As of right now, my favorite band is the Dum Dum Girls. I have been listening to Too True and Only in Dreams a lot. I just adore their sound of retro garage punk. The music is very raw and minimalistic yet just filled with melodic pop hooks. Lead singer Dee Dee often reminds me of Chrissie Hyndes of The Pretenders. Right now their upcoming show at The Triple Rock is my most anticipated concert between now and June. The funny thing about the Dum Dum Girls' music is that I tried to get into their music a few years ago but at the time I just couldn't get into their music. I suppose this was because at the time I wasn't ready to really branch out of the synthpop and industrial mindset I was stuck in. Now that I am edging closer to turning the big 4-0, my outlook on music has evolved. I am really looking beyond one particular genre. Outside of my beloved industrial and synthpop genres, the Dum Dum Girls is where my heart is. Absolutely adore this band.

Uh Huh Her is a band I fell in love a few years back but kinda pushed aside for awhile...until this year. UHH is an electro-pop band from LA featuring actress/singer Leisha Hailey (who was on The L Word and in the band The Murmurs) and Camila Grey. After hearing their first single "Innocence" for their upcoming album Future Souls, I had to bust out my copy of Common Reaction and started listening to it once again. I was quickly reminded how good the band's music is. I will finally be seeing this band at the end of April. It will be my first time seeing Uh Huh Her so I am very excited to be going to that show.

Speaking of electro-pop in general, I have been listening to a lot of it in the past couple of years from the Greek band Marsheaux to Tegan and Sara's latest album Heartthrob. Tonight I recently pre-ordered the new Client album Authority after I heard their new song "Refuge", which I played incessantly all evening long. LOL! Pop music of all sorts has definitely started filtering back into my consciousness and without feeling any shame about it.

I could easily go on and on about my current musical influences but these are the main ones that have gotten under my skin. I will though give out some shout-outs to:Baal, Mari Chrome, Army On the Dancefloor, Noblesse Oblige,and Javelynn who have all put out some kick ass music in the past 1-3 years and has made waking up in the morning all the worthwhile.

Comments

Popular Posts