Shinto Records

I thought I would post this message on my blog tonight. I received the message a couple of nights ago.

Shinto Records is working on putting together some promotional CDs, Stickers, T-Shirts and various items.


Because Shinto pays between 50-65% of the sales directly to the artists sometimes our budget is low or promotional items.


We have started a kickstarter for fans, artists and people who still believe in music for the people, at a good price and having the artists being taken care of. We also have some great rewards, for both fans and artists, some being of higher value than the actual pledge price.


For more info go to: kck.st/ib7UQd


The list of rewards are great and the paintings mentioned will soon be posted on the Shinto Records website.


Thank you,
Shinto Records


Join us on Facebook here: www.facebook.com/shintorecords
Follow us on Twitter here: twitter.com/Shinto_Records

I thought it was high time that the good folks at Shinto Records deserved a shout out from me for putting out some really kick ass music. I don't think a lot of people in the underground scene really knows about Shinto Records. If you go to the Faq page, you will see that the label won't sign just anyone under the sun. I appreciate that the label is picky about who they sign.

I have been a fan of Shinto Records for a couple of years now. I was at an Angels on Acid concert 2 years ago when I picked up a copy of the compilation Sin-Tech (along with an Angels of Acid cd). The compilation features a lot of great artists like C/A/T, Kirlian Camera (which is how I got into KC), Cylab (one of my all time favorite bands), as well as lesser know yet equally talented artists/bands like Scarlet Slipping, Jason Alacrity, Phantoms of the SS, and Life's Decay to name a few. I really liked how diverse Sin-Tech was in comparison to other compilations in the goth/industrial/synthpop genres. I eventually found copies of Sin-Faktory and Lunar Sea at my local independent record store Cheapo Records store for about $10. Unlike Sin-Tech, Sin-Faktory and Lunar Sea are geared towards either the industrial or goth/darkwave genres. The quality of both compilations are excellent. They introduced me to a bunch of new artists like Proyecto Alienoxir, Impurfekt, One Eye Wanders, Weltenbrand, Bella Lune, and Verney 1826. I am particularly fond of Lunar Sea because of the tracks by The Spiritual Bat, Weltenbrand, Sur Lune, and Tiffany Apan. The label's most recent compilation Torture Garden I ordered online last year. Normally I am not a huge fan of darkwave/ambient. That sort of music is a hit or miss with me but I honestly dug this particular compilation. This is a great album to listen to on a cold, winter night or around Halloween time. It just has a great ominous or sinister vibe. I would have to admit I have a soft spot for Torture Garden because my friend Serena Toxicat (aka Protea) has a track on the album. And yes, that is an obvious plug for her music ;-).

Here is a list of artists on Shinto Records. I like a good number of them. Besides Protea, I am particularly a big fan of Scarlet Slipping, The Spiritual Bat (here is a video clip of The Spiritual Bats performing at The Bedlam Theatre back in July which I shot), Phantoms of the SS, END: the DJ, Sullen Serenade, and Bella Lune. For my Minnesota friends, you can find the compilations that I have mentioned (at least most of them) at Cheapo Records although the one in uptown is pretty sparse (nor do they give a crap about the goth/industrial section in their store which is why they never seem to replenish cds in that particular sectio nof the store). Of course you can always order online. Of course another way to get a copy of the comps I just mentioned is at local live shows but those are few and far between. It is definitely more convenient to order online.

Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff that Alfa Matrix and Metropolis Records puts out but lately I have been finding more joy out of discovering artists that are signed to much smaller labels like Shinto records. I do hope that people will break the mold and venture out of the safety zone of what they are used to listening to and check out artists on smaller labels.  

Comments

Popular Posts