Old and New Favorite Songs

I admit it I kind of forgot about this weekly blog series for the past couple of weeks. I will definitely try to be better about posting it every week here on the Twin Cities Underground. I guess I just have been so preoccupied with the recently announced Covenant show at Amsterdam Bar and Hall in April and before that June concert for Purity Ring at First Avenue. I get really excited about upcoming shows way too easily. LOL! Without Further ado, here are my favorite songs (old and new alike).

Old Favorites:
Of all the songs The Bangles have released as singles, "If She Knew What She Wants" is my favorite song by the band. While Susanna Hoff's vocals takes front and center the band harmonizes really well on this track. Just in general the reason I always loved this band was because that all four members sang vocals. The harmonies always stuck out with me. Their music remains timeless for me. Also I like the UK video of the song than what was released in the US. I find it more interesting visually.


I have been listening to the band's last album for Sub Pop record label. "Fast And Frightening" is my personal favorite song off the album. It is so raw and aggressive. After 2 decades, the song (and their album) still sounds absolutely freaking amazing.


"Sanvean" is easily my favorite Dead Can Dance song hands down. Just love Lisa Gerrard's vocalizations on this track. The melodies and her vocals simply sends chills down my spine.

New Favorites:
I am totally digging the new Nightwish single "Elan". I can only speak for myself when I say the band may the right decision to hire Floor Jansen as their vocalist full time. I can certainly hear a little Tarja in her vocals throughout the song but not too much. Do I think the song isn't heavy enough like some fans are complaining? Absolutely not. I think "Elan" is a beautiful track and a good choice as the first single off the new album. While it may not be as heavy on the guitar riffs, the song itself is as melodic as the band's previous singles.


My favorite song off the new Zola Jesus album Taiga.


Great song from one of my favorite futurepop groups from years ago. Their new album is excellent. I listened to it last night and ordered a copy from Amazon.com. Their return to the scene is most welcomed with me. "Inside Sanity" makes me think of Solitary Experiments and maybe a little of VNV Nation. I really recommend checking out their new album Monument. It is fantastic.

Comments

Popular Posts