My current favorite songs of the week

I have been in such a rotten mood this week. I guess that is par for the course when one has been subjected to trauma and death in a three month span this year. I have very little to no patience for bullshit.

Some of the music on this week's playlist reflects my mood such as "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac and "Remedy" by Adele.  I really can't say I am a big fan of either Fleetwood Mac and Adele but I do like some of their music. I know Adele can be grating on some people's nerves and she can be but I will take her over the likes of Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry. "Remedy" really hits a chord with how I have been feeling for the past several weeks. It is easily my favorite song on Adele's album 25. I think it is a beautiful ballad. Another song that resonates with me at the moment is Staind's "So Far Away". Not a fan of the band by a long shot but I love this particular song since hearing it for the trailer to the first Punisher film (which had John Travolta in it as the villain).

Speaking of beautiful ballads, "All My Lovers" by Autumn has been getting lots of airplay from me. Check out the guitar intro by Neil McKay. It is pretty killer. Such intricate melodies. His work on this song is some of my favorite I have heard from him. Neil has become one of my favorite guitarists in the past several years. What else can I say about Julie Plante? She has such a powerful voice that no vocalist in the current music scene (especially mainstream music) can really hold a candle to. Not that the band can do no wrong in my eyes. Bassist Jeff Leyda does a great job at providing the backbone to Neil's swirling guitar riffs and Julie's stunning vocals. The musicianship of this band is amazing. I hate having to wait until winter for their third album. Patience is not a virtue for me.

I have thrown in some new music. I have been digging the new albums by Arch Enemy and Zola Jesus albums. I have to admit Will to Power by Arch Enemy took some time to grow on me but I am really getting into the music now. The new Zola Jesus album Okovi is really good. I really enjoyed her last album Taiga so I was not disappointed at all with her new album. I almost forgot how good the new Clan of Xymox album Days of Black is until I listened to it this week at work. Poor album got neglected by me. I need to listen to it more often. The album is really good. Damn shame their show in Minneapolis this past spring fell through by no fault of anyone involved. I would have loved to seen them live. Oh well, I'm going to Chicago next spring for Nightwish. Another 2017 release I recommend checking out is Not So Dark by Shelby Lynne and her sister Alison Moorer. The famous sisters do some really compelling cover songs on the album like Nirvana's "Lithium" and Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds' "Into My Arms". I have included songs from all the aforementioned albums.

Next to "Return" by NamNamBulu, I have to say "I Know a Place" by Muna has to be my next favorite song of 2017. It is such a great electropop song. I always listen to that song every damn day, whether I am at work or not.

Comments

Popular Posts