My current favorite songs of 2014 (so far)

Last week I posted a blog listing some of my favorite releases of 2014. I thought tonight I would post my favorite songs from this year so far. I have created a playlist on Spotify aptly titled My current favorite songs of 2014 (so far). It will be updated through out the year and eventually finalized before the end of the year.

01. Are You Okay? - Dum Dum Girls
02. Shatter Me (featuring Lizzy Hale) - Lindsey Stirling
03. If We Stop Breeding - Nitro/Noise
04. Fall In Love - Phantogram
05. New Life - Mondtraume
06. False Face - God Module
07. Life is Unfair (and Love is a Bitch) - Junksista
08. Frostbite - Avarice in Audio
09. Conversation (Club Mix) - Cosmic Armchair
10. Lies - Anette Olzon

"Are You Okay?" by Dum Dum Girls was the song that convinced me that I needed my own copy of their new album Too True. It is so unforgettably catchy. I am always finding myself singing along to the song.

Without a shadow of a doubt, the new Nitro/Noise album No Cure For Apocalypse is my favorite industrial album of 2014 (next to 3 Teeth's debut album). It wasn't easy for me to pick out which of the songs from that album to put on my playlist so I opted for "If We Stop Breeding" on a whim. All of the songs on the new album is terrific. The songs have solid hooks to maintain the listener's attention yet the music remains as aggressive as the first album. As far as up and coming new bands, Nitro/Noise is by far one of my personal faves.

Right now I am really loving the recent additions to Alfa Matrix's record label Avarice in Audio and Cosmic Armchair. Their brand of synthpop music totally blows my mind. I first heard Cosmic Armchair on the latest Alfa Matrix compilation when I ordered the Mondtraume album Empty from them. Cosmic Armchair reminded me of some of the synthpop music on A Different Drum records back in the early to mid '00s. Avarice in Audio is this killer Australian duo whose music reminds me of Delerium (when their music is remixed into dance tracks). Just awesome electro-pop/synthpop.

Of course I had to add one of my deeply personal favorite songs from the debut album by my favorite synthpop band Mondtraume "New Life". It is such a beautiful song written about the group's programmer Pikotto's son. Such a loving tribute and it does not come off as cheesy or emotionally manipulative.

The rest of the songs on my playlist is worth listening to. I really love "Shine" by Anette Olzon. It is a gorgeous sweeping ballad. "False Face" by God Module is definitely my favorite song on the new God Module album which I definitely recommend checking out. It is only June but 2014 is really shaping up to be a really excellent year for music.

Comments

Popular Posts