Tegan and Sara at First Avenue on 06.16.14

Another major concert for me has come and gone within a blink of an eye. Last night I braved the dreary wet weather to attend my first Tegan and Sara concert at First Avenue. I have to admit I really wasn't a big fan of Tegan and Sara's music until the release of Heartthrob last year. While a lot of the sisters' diehard fans weren't pleased about their electro-pop direction, I myself really enjoyed it. I was disappointed when I missed them at First Avenue the last time they were in town (which I think was last year). Despite the miserable weather, the concert proved to be worth every single damn penny I spent on my ticket which was about $50. I took some pictures which can be seen in this photobucket folder of concerts I attended this year (and just used my smartphone to take pictures).

goth_maven's Other concerts I have attended album on Photobucket


City Pages has their own review of the Tegan and Sara show with the set list.

My $0.02? I was pleased that the band played most of Heartthrob. Too bad they didn't perform my personal favorite song "Love They Say" off the album. Absolutely loved their cover of "Let My Love Open the Door". Here is video footage from another show where they ended the set with the song.


The sisters were amusing and were quite interactive with the audience. Tegan and Sara clearly love their fanbase and it really showed during the night.

As for the opening acts The Courtneys and My Midnight Heart, My Midnight Heart captured my heart. And for someone who does not particularly like music with a heavy dose of r and b, I loved My Midnight Heart's music. Angelica Allen really impressed me with her vocals. Today I checked out her EP Chest of Hearts which is really, really good.

My favorite track is "NightLight". Check it out. It is a beautiful song.

IMHO The Courtneys were okay. I'm so over pop-punk but I think if you dig that genre, you will like The Courtneys. Their music is fast, energetic,and catchy too.

All in all I had a great time at the show. I was smart to sit on the wall near the stage as opposed to trying to get in the front row. The venue was sold out and the mainfloor at First Avenue was jam packed with sweaty people. I certainly would say that this show was one of my favorite shows of 2014 (so far). Up next...Veruca Salt in July! :)

Comments

Popular Posts