My Current Favorite Songs

Got another fun filled playlist of my favorite songs, and of course it is a mixed bag.

Just listened to the new Purple Fog Side album The Discord last night. It is great. I have been fan of the synthpop act since 2015 when they contributed a track to the De/Vision tribute album on SkyQode. Love their cover of REM's "Losing My Religion". I like System Syn's version they did a few years ago but I think Purple Fog Side does a better interpretation of the classic REM song.

I completely forgot that country singer/songwriter Allison Moorer did a cover of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" until I started listening to her album Mockingbird not long ago. It is certainly different from Social Distortion's version (which is my personal fave) but I do enjoy it. Allison's version is a lot slower and more mellow than Social Distortions' version and even the original  but I like it.

I will forever kick myself for not seeing Concrete Blonde at The Varsity Theatre a few years ago around Thanksgiving. They have been one of my favorite modern rock bands since my senior year in high school after hearing "Joey" on the radio while heading home from Montana with my church's youth group. That song has always been one of my all time favorite songs. My other favorite Concrete Blonde song is "Mexican Moon". I have been listening to that song a lot for the past few days. I think that song has been under looked as one of the band's best songs.

Another song I have been listening to a lot lately is the 11 minute opus "The Hating Tree" by Autumn. This song was originally one of my least favorite tracks by the Minneapolis darkwave band but considering how much I listen to their album The Hating Tree, the song has grown on me quite considerably. The song is certainly is not as melodic as say "How It Came to be This Way" or "Desert Winds of Jezebel" but it does have a lot of charm to it with Neil's dazzling guitar riffs, Jeff's throbbing basslines, and Julie's incredible vocals and haunting lyrics. I particularly enjoy the end with Julie's talents on the piano.

I am really contemplating going to that cheesefest Go Fest from Go93 because Muna is part of the line-up. I truly do regret not going to their Turf Club show back in February. Their album About U is my favorite pop album of this year (so far). I would love to hear "I Know a Place" and "Around U" live, my two personal favorite tracks off their album.

Of course I had to include two of my all time favorite songs "Ball and Chain" by Social D and "500" by Lush. The songs are so damn catchy, it is virtually impossible for me to get sick of listening to the two songs.

Comments

Popular Posts