Album of the Week

I have been listening to a lot of great new music for the past several days ranging from Allison Moorer's Blood album to Junkie XL's soundtrack to Terminator: Dark Fate. It was a tough call but at ultimately I decided to go with the new live album by Dessa and the Minnesota Orchestra Sound the Bells: Recorded Live at Orchestra Hall. The album was recorded live back in March at two sold out shows. The album reads like a greatest hits compilation with songs from the rapper/singer's four albums. The results is fantastic. I love the pairing of Dessa and the Minnesota Orchestra. One would assume that the orchestra would drown out Dessa's vocals but they don't. They compliment each other very nicely and evenly. I would love to see other hip hop artists to take similar risks like what Dessa does when she performs live with the Minnesota Orchestra. I wish hip hop music would go in this direction with a more organic sound than with the synth sounds of trap music which to me sounds all the damn same.

Comments

Popular Posts